About the Metallurgical Engineering Ph.D. Program

Graduate Student Manual for Metallurgical Engineering 2023

Graduate Student Manual for Metallurgical Engineering 2021

Graduate Student Manual for Metallurgical Engineering 2019

Degrees Offered

The Doctoral (Ph.D.) degree in Metallurgical Engineering, offered through the Materials Science and Engineering Department, is an intensive research and doctoral dissertation degree. Students may directly pursue a Ph.D. degree without first earning a M.S. degree.

It typically takes  four years to complete a Ph.D.

Degree RequirementsQualifying ExaminationSupervisory CommitteeProgram of StudyDissertation ProposalDissertation and Defense
Complete a minimum of 54 credit hours in courses level 6000 or above. This includes

  • 30 credit hours of coursework.
    • 15 out of the 30 credits must be METE courses. Exceptions to this rule are at the discretion of the student’s Supervisory Committee.
    • 6 semesters (3 credits) of Graduate Seminar required (METE 7800)
  • 24 hours of Thesis Research (METE 7970).

All coursework must be completed at a cumulative 3.0 GPA (B grade average). All courses must be passed with a B- or better. Students will also be required to complete the following requirements during the course of the program:

  • Qualifying Examination
  • Supervisory Committee
  • Program of Study
  • Dissertation Proposal
  • Dissertation
Graduate Seminar
Students are required to take 6 semesters (0.5 credit hours each semester) of METE Graduate Seminar.

  • METE 7800 – Graduate Seminar I (0.5 credits) Fall Semesters
  • METE 7800 – Graduate Seminar II (0.5 credits) Spring Semesters

One oral presentation is required.

METE Graduate Seminar Independent Study

If students are unable to attend the Graduate Seminar in a given semester due to an academic or work related conflict, they will be required to make up the credit through an independent study. Students will still be required to register for METE 7800, as the credit hours are required for the graduate program. However, it will be the student’s responsibility to attend at least 10 seminars or lecture during the duration of the semester.  The seminars or lectures must be related to the field of Metallurgical Engineering. The seminars or lectures can be on- or off-campus. They may be live, or pre-recorded and viewed from various media platforms (for example, YouTube).

Students must write a one-page (typed, single-spaced, 12 pt. font) paper addressing the following topics:

  • How the topics relate to your research.
  • One full paragraph should discuss the research style and communication skills of the speaker.
  • Students should give advice on how the presentation could have been better.

The 10 one-page papers are due the last day of classes in the given semester.

Thesis Hours

Students must complete at least 24 hours of Thesis Research (METE 7970, Thesis Research: Ph.D.). The candidate must also be regularly enrolled at the University and registered for at least one course during the semester in which the final oral examination (dissertation defense) is taken.

After the residency requirement has been met (two consecutive semesters of nine hours or more), graduate students who are registered for three credit hours in any one of the following classes are considered full-time status:

  • Classes within the ranges of 6970-6989 or 7970-7989

This does not fulfill state residency requirements.

Registration Restrictions

The credit hour requirements for full-time and part-time status at the University of Utah are

Student             Full-Time                    Part-Time
Graduate      9 hours per term       5-8 hours per term

No candidate for a graduate degree is permitted to register for more than 16 credit hours in any single semester. A schedule of nine credit hours is considered a full load for doctoral degree candidates.

Transfer Credit

Graduate credit may be transferred from other regionally-accredited institutions with department and advisor approval. Credits transferred from another institution may be used for only one degree. Up to six semester hours of transfer credit may be applied toward fulfillment of graduate degree requirements if they are of high letter grade (B or higher; ‘credit only’ grades are unacceptable), are recommended by the student’s supervisory committee, and were taken within four years of the semester of admission to the University of Utah for master’s students and within seven years of the semester of admission to the University of Utah for doctoral students.

Nonmatriculated Credit
Only nine semester hours of nonmatriculated credit, taken no more than three year prior to approval, can be applied toward a graduate degree.

Faculty Consultation and Independent Study
Only 3 hours of METE 7980 – Faculty Consultation can be counted towards the Ph.D. degree provided there is proper documentation. This can take the place of 3 METE coursework hours on the Program of Study.
Only 1 hour of METE 7920 – Independent Study can be used towards the Ph.D. degree.

English Proficiency

The University of Utah Admissions Department sets the requirements for English Proficiency, not the department. This requirement cannot be waived. Applications will not be processed without official test results dated within two years. For more information, please see the admissions page on English Proficiency found here.


Following the first academic year of the Ph.D. program, students must advance to candidacy in order to continue in the program. Advance to candidacy must occur before the Ph.D. Dissertation Proposal Exam can be scheduled. Students will be evaluated on the following criteria in order to advance to candidacy:

  • Performance in the METE core courses
    • METE _ – _ (3 credits)
  • Performance in their research as assessed by the research advisor by grades for thesis credit hours
  • Overall GPA
  • Passing the Qualifying Examination

Based on the evaluation by the METE faculty, students will either be approved to advance to candidacy in the Ph.D. program, be removed from the Ph.D. program and asked to pursue a terminal M.S. degree, or be granted a conditional pass with required remediation actions at the discretion of the faculty. A student not passing the qualification exam portion of the candidacy evaluation may be required by the committee to re-take the prelim exam one time. If two failures occur the student will not be allowed to advance to candidacy.

Qualifying Examination

The qualifying examination will be scheduled Spring semester. Department faculty will determine the content of the qualifying exam each year based on the content taught in the first-year core courses. The exam will test students on their understanding and ability to apply core themes and topics in Metallurgical Engineering in the following categories.

  • [subjects]

The exam will consist of


Each student will receive a score –


Students should prepare by taking the core METE graduate courses and by studying individually over the year leading up to the exam. It is also suggested that students conduct mock examinations together. Students should be prepared to respond to the oral exam questions with organized, logical arguments using a whiteboard or similar device and drawing upon fundamental concepts in metallurgical engineering, especially from the core METE courses. The written portion of the exam will allow the student to consider and organize their answers. Students should also be prepared to succinctly but thoroughly explain the technique(s) and material(s) they are working with in their research projects.


After successfully passing the Candidacy Evaluation, Ph.D. students must make an appointment with the Graduate Academic Advisor to start building a supervisory committee.

Each supervisory committee consists of five faculty members. In compliance with The Graduate School’s policy, the majority of the committee members (at least 3) must be tenure-line faculty in the Department of Material Science and Engienering. The supervisory committee chair must be a regular tenure-line faculty at the University of Utah. The Dean of The Graduate School may approve requests to appoint a committee member from another university where appropriate justification and supporting documentation is provided. The supervisory committee is responsible for approving the student’s academic program, preparing and judging the qualifying examinations, approving the dissertation subject and final dissertation, and administering and judging the final oral examination (dissertation defense).

Supervisory Committee Form

During the third year of graduate study, Ph.D. students are required to complete a Program of Study. This form is not a selection of courses that satisfies the minimum requirements but will be a list of all course work and research hours proposed for the Ph.D. degree that will be approved by the Supervisory Committee. It is important that students understand that the Supervisory Committee makes the final decision for the courses that will appear on the Program of Study for the Ph.D.

Procedure to Complete

The procedure to complete the Program of Study form and get it approved is as follows:

  • Students must arrange a meeting with their Supervisory Committee Chair to present the proposed course for the Program of Study form.
  • At the meeting, the Supervisory Committee Chair will review and approve the student’s courses for their degree.
  • In some cases, the Supervisory Committee Chair may require extra course work that exceeds the minimum requirements for a Ph.D. degree based on the dissertation topic.
  • As stated in the Graduate School’s requirements, coursework used to complete requirements for one graduate program may not be used to meet the requirement of another.
  • All course work must be completed in the first two years of graduate study.
Program of Study Form

After advancing to candidacy, but before the end of the third year (6th semester) in the program, students must complete the written and oral portions of the Dissertation Proposal Exam. An exception can be granted by a student’s Supervisory Committee Chair for extenuating circumstances.

The Dissertation Proposal must occur before the Dissertation Defense and the two many not be completed within the same semester. The Dissertation Proposal Exam (written, oral, or both parts) may be repeated once if a “Fail” or “Conditional Pass” is received the first time.

Written Proposal

Students must independently prepare a written proposal for the research they will complete for their dissertation. It must be given to their Supervisory Committee at least two weeks prior to the date of the oral exam. Students must propose their own original research which will form the basis of their publications and Ph.D. dissertation. The proposal should detail the prior work in the field, detail any results already obtained by the student, and lay out the research objectives and plan for meeting those objectives before completing the dissertation. A copy of the Dissertation Proposal will be provided to the Academic Advisor to be retained in the student’s file.

The proposal should follow the NSF proposal format (or other federal agency if approved by the committee). For more information on the format, student should refer to the Dissertation Written Proposal Template.

For additional resources and information on NSF formatting, students should refer to the University of Utah Office of Sponsored Projects.

Oral Proposal

Students must arrange with their Supervisory Committee to present and defend their proposal. A common format is to prepare a talk lasting 40 minutes if uninterrupted based on the same ideas and research plan contained in the Written Proposal.

The committee will ask questions, evaluate the proposal, and give feedback and suggestions to the student on the proposed research. The committee will sign the Dissertation Proposal from, which has separate “Pass,” “Conditional Pass” and “Fail” marks. Again, the committee may require remedial actions for “Conditional Pass” or “Fail” marks.

Dissertation Proposal Form

METE Dissertation Written Proposal Template
METE Ph.D. Proposal form


Students must submit a dissertation embodying the results of scientific or scholarly research. The dissertation must provide evidence of originality and the ability to do independent investigation and it must contribute to knowledge. The dissertation must show a mastery of the relevant literature and be presented in an acceptable style. The style and format are determined by departmental policy and registered with the thesis and dissertation editor, who approves individual dissertations in accordance with departmental and Graduate School policy. The approved style guides are listed on the Graduate School website.

At least three weeks before the final dissertation defense, students should submit an acceptable draft of the dissertation to the chair of the Supervisory Committee; committee members should receive copies at least two weeks before the examination date.

The doctoral dissertation is expected to be available to other scholars and to the general public. It is the responsibility of all doctoral candidates to arrange for the publication of their dissertations. The University accepts two alternatives for complying with the publication requirements:

  • The entire dissertation is submitted to UMI Dissertation Publishing, ProQuest Information and Learning, and copies are made available for public sale. The abstract only is published if the entire dissertation has been previously published and distributed, exclusive of vanity publishing.
  • The doctoral candidate may elect to microfilm the entire previously published work.

Regardless of the option used for meeting the publication requirement, an abstract of each dissertation is published in UMI Dissertation Publishing, ProQuest Information and Learning, Dissertation Abstracts International.

Detailed policies and procedures concerning publication requirements, use of restricted data, and other matters pertaining to the preparation and acceptance of the dissertation are contained in
A Handbook for Theses and Dissertations, published by The Graduate School and available on their website.

Please be sure to check the Thesis Office manuscript tracking system to see if your dissertation has been uploaded to ProQuest.


Ph.D. students must orally defend the significant contents, results, and conclusions associated with their doctoral research before the entire Supervisory Committee at an open and public defense. At the conclusion of the public participation, the committee will excuse the public and conduct further questioning on the thesis and related topics. The outcome of the defense is reported on the Ph.D. Defense Form.

The draft or final dissertation document will serve as the written basis for the presentation and should be submitted to the Supervisory Committee four weeks prior to the oral defense. The Supervisory Committee will examine in detail the contents, results, conclusions and contribution made by the student’s research and written dissertation.

“The Supervisory Committee Approval” and “Final Reading Approval” forms must be filled out by the student and the appropriate signatures obtained before final dissertation can be submitted to the Thesis Editor for final approval and release. These forms are the responsibility of the student and can be found on The Graduate School’s website.

When should I defend in order to graduate in a specific semester?

As a general rule of thumb, plan to defend in the first two months of the semester if you want to graduate that semester.

The earlier you defend in a given semester, the more likely you are to be able to graduate that same semester. Check the Thesis Calendar to see when the submission deadline is. You need to defend far enough ahead of that deadline that you can make any changes to the text required by your committee and ensure that the manuscript adheres to your chosen style guide and Thesis Office requirements by the deadline. Be aware that if you submit your manuscript on the deadline and there are any formatting errors you will not graduate that semester. The sooner you turn your manuscript in, the more likely you are to graduate in that semester.

Registration the Semester of the Defense

Student must be registered for 3 credit hours of METE 7970 during the semester they defend. Once student defends and the dissertation has been accepted by the Supervisory Committee, the student is not required to register for another semester. International Students should check with International Student and Scholar Services once they have defended to make sure that they do not go out of status while completing requested rewrites.

Defense and Dissertation Forms

Materials Science and Engineering Department form:

Graduate School Forms

According to the University of Utah Graduate School regulation, “At least one year (i.e., two consecutive semesters) of a doctoral program must be spent in full-time academic work at the University of Utah. When a student proceeds directly from a master’s degree to a Ph.D. degree with no break in the program of study (except for authorized leaves of absence), the residency requirement may be fulfilled at any time during the course of study. A full load is 9 credit hours. Three hours of METE 7970 Thesis Research: PhD also is considered a full load after the residency requirement is fulfilled.”
Students registered for 9 hours of Thesis Research: PhD for two consecutive semesters will be allowed to fulfill the residency requirement. Students that are not continually registered will have to reapply to the University of Utah before continuing.  Students in the College of Mines and Earth Sciences cannot simultaneously be candidates for a Ph.D. in one department and a M.E., M.S., or Ph.D. candidate in the same or in another department.
A Ph.D. student is eligible for 5 years (10 semesters) of tuition benefit, providing the students did not come in with a M.S. degree from another institution or department at the University of Utah. Students entering the Ph.D. program with a M.S. degree from another institution are only eligible for 4 years (8 semesters) of tuition benefit. Students who completed an M.S. degree in another department at the University of Utah will only be eligible for the number of tuition benefits they did not use towards their M.S. degree. In compliance with the Tuition Benefit Program, Ph.D. students should in all practical purposes complete their degrees in 5 years.In accordance with the Graduate School time limit requirements: “Students whose studies have been interrupted for long periods and who have been granted an extension to complete their degrees may be required to complete additional courses, pass examination, or otherwise demonstrate that they are current in their field.”
All graduate students must be registered for at least one course from the time of formal admission through completion of all requirements for the degree they are seeking, unless granted an official leave of absence (see Leaves of Absence section, below). Students not on campus and not using University facilities are not expected to register for summer term. Students must, however, be registered during summer term if they are taking examinations or defending theses/dissertations. If students do not comply with this continuous registration policy and do not obtain an official leave of absence, they will be automatically discontinued from graduate study. In this case, students will be required to reapply for admission to the University through Graduate Admissions upon approval of the home department. Students should be registered for graduate-level courses (6000-7000 level for doctoral) until they have completed all requirements for the degree, including the defense of dissertation.  METE 7990 Continuing Registration: PhD is only allowed if the student is not using faculty time or University facilities except the library. Upon successfully defending the Ph.D. dissertation, students no longer are required to register; however, those who wish to check out books from the library must register for METE 7990. METE 7990 is not allowed to fulfill degree requirements and is limited to four (4) semesters. Students are still responsible for the tuition and fees for METE 7990.
Full-Time Student Status
Full-time status for graduate students at the University of Utah must meet the following conditions:Registering for 9 credit hours and up to 11 credit hours of approved graduate study courses. Some of these credit hours may be for of Thesis Research: PhD 7970.
Part-Time Student Status
Domestic graduate students are allowed to attend graduate school on a part-time basis; however, it is necessary that a part time student be registered for a minimum of 3 credit hours each semester. A letter must be submitted to the Materials Science and Engineering Administrative Office and must be received at the beginning of the student’s first semester advising the Academic Advisor that the student will be part-time. This student will remain a part-time student until the Materials Science and Engineering Administrative Office is notified otherwise. Part-time students still need to satisfy the residency requirement for their perspective degrees.
International students may take a Vacation Semester Summer Term unless they will be defending their dissertation that semester, in which case they must be registered for three hours.
Domestic students who wish to take a leave of absence for a semester must complete a Graduate Student Request for Leave of Absence and have it approved by their supervisory committee. The form must then be submitted to the Academic Advisor for further processing. The form must be filled out prior to the semester that will be missed. Leaves of absence can be granted for up to one year. International students are not allowed to take a leave of absence.
The only courses that will be graded with a Credit/No-Credit (CR/NC) grade in the Metallurgical Engineering Graduate Program are METE 7800  (Graduate Seminar) and METE 7970 Thesis Research: PhD. All other courses on the student’s program of study must be taken for a letter grade.Students will receive Credit (CR) for satisfactory research progress. If the student is not showing satisfactory progress for their research a grade of No Credit (NC) will be given.
Adding Classes – All classes must be added within two weeks of the beginning of the semester. Adding classes after the deadline is not permitted in the College of Engineering and requires a petition letter.Dropping Classes – A drop implies that the student will not be held financially responsible and a “W” will not be listed on the transcript. Student may drop any class without penalty or permission during the first ten calendar days of the term.Withdrawing from Classes – means that a “W” will appear on the student’s transcript and tuition will be charged. Withdrawal from Full Term Length –Beginning the eleventh calendar day and continuing through the midpoint of the term, students may withdraw from a class or the University without instructor/department permission. After midpoint of the term, students may petition the deadline for withdrawal if they have a nonacademic emergency. For more information about the petition process, please contact your Academic Advisor.Check the academic calendar for specific add, drop, and withdrawal dates.
If a student believes that an academic action is arbitrary or capricious he/she should discuss the action with the involved faculty member and attempt to resolve. If unable to resolve, the student may appeal the action in accordance with the following procedure.Appeal to the Department Chair (in writing) within 40 working days; chairs must notify student of a decision with 15 days. If the faculty member or student disagrees with decision then,
Appeal to Academic Committee, see II Section D, Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities for details on Academic Appeal Committee hearings.
The University of Utah seeks to provide equal access to its programs, services, and activities for people with disabilities. If you will need accommodations in classes, reasonable prior notice needs to be given to the instructor and to the Center for Disability and Access.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is the opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom and/or research lab experience to a practical work experience off-campus after graduation. Optional Practical Training is authorized by Immigration and Customs Enforcement. This authorization can take several months to obtain so students need to apply well in advance of graduation. The maximum amount of time granted to work in F-1 Optional Practical Training is 12 months.Working before practical training has been authorized by Immigration and Customs Enforcement constitutes illegal employment that will jeopardize your legal status in the United States. So it is important that students coordinate their OPT request with International Student and Scholar Services.
Graduate students have an option to obtain affordable health insurance coverage through the Graduate School as part of the Tuition Benefit Program. TAs and RAs are generally eligible. If a student prefers a different insurance policy, reimbursement can be obtained up to the cost of the plan available through the Graduate School.The Department of Materials Science and Engineering supports graduate students seeking family medical leave and/or reasonable accommodation as outlined generally under Policy 5-200 Leaves of Absence, Medical of the University of Utah Regulations that covers family medical leave and/or reasonable accommodation for conditions such as illness, pregnancy leave, military leave, foster care, adoption, hardship leave, care for elderly parents, or care for children.Graduate students in the METE graduate programs and employed by the Department of Materials Science and Engineering as either an RA or TA are entitled to up to 12 weeks for a family medical leave of absence beginning within the time of employment. A leave will not extend beyond the time of the thesis defense or other final date marking the completion of examinations needed for the program.
In some cases, a student may not satisfy the requirements and expectations of the Metallurgical Engineering Ph.D. program, triggering an assessment of the student’s status in the program. These expectations include reasonable rate of progress towards completing the requirements of the degree program.While expectations for scholarly output and rate thereof is left to the judgement of the advisor and supervisory committee, a general guideline is that Ph.D. students in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering are encouraged to present at conferences and workshops and should have at least three first-authored papers accepted to reputable peer-reviewed journals before graduation and multiple conference presentations and papers.The student’s supervisory committee (or a majority thereof) will be the deciding body. The maximum sanction for unacceptable academic performance is dismissal from the Program (see Student Code, University Policy 6-400). In cases requiring dismissal from the Program, a Recommendation for Change of Graduate Classification form will be filed with the Graduate Records Office. The student may appeal the decision, following the procedure outlined in the Student Code (University Policy 6-400).If any of the criteria listed below are not met, the advisory committee will have discretion to either:
  • Dismiss the student from the program immediately.
  • Place the student on academic probation for 1 semester. In this case, the student’s committee will provide a list of specific milestones which the student must accomplish in order to be reinstated to good standing. If these milestone are not accomplished within 1 semester, the student will be dismissed from the program.

Graduate students must:

  • Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
  • Pass all required examinations within specified times limits (e.g. for Ph.D. students the candidacy exam, dissertation proposal, and thesis defense).
  • Continuously maintain an official advisor and supervisory committee from the 3rd semester through completion of the program.
  • Continually make acceptable progress toward the degree as determined by the supervisory committee + thesis advisor.

A Handbook for Theses and Dissertations contains information on The Graduate School’s policies and procedures for preparing a thesis or dissertation, having it edited by the Thesis Editor, and filing it as the final step in graduation. The Handbook includes an explanation of the University of Utah format, examples of forms and essential pages for the thesis, a list of departmentally-approved style guides, and a discussion of copyright issues.

Please be sure to check the Thesis Office manuscript tracking system to see if your dissertation has been uploaded to ProQuest.

Preliminary Formatting

What is a preliminary formatting review?

This lower-stakes, shorter review will help reveal significant formatting issues in manuscripts that will be an impediment to speedy approval by the Thesis Office. Students are allowed to turn in a chapter or more of a manuscript for a preliminary review, or may sign up for a 20-minute, in-person format review consultation. The Thesis Office will have an appointment calendar for students in place by Spring 2018.

How will this affect my graduation?

Students who do not complete a preliminary review will not be barred from graduating. However, students who do not complete a preliminary format review will no longer be guaranteed that their manuscripts will be approved in time for graduation in the semester the manuscript is submitted.

Preliminary reviews will be conducted by the Thesis Office up to two weeks before the first manuscript deadlines. Following that time, no requests for preliminary reviews will be accepted until the next semester.

What are the important dates?

Review deadlines are updated on the Thesis Office website.

Does a student need to wait until the semester they’re graduating to have a preliminary review?

No. If the student learns the correct formatting early in the writing process and implements it in their writing, it is more likely that the manuscript will exhibit no major formatting problems.

If a student is off-campus, how can they have a preliminary format review?

Students may ask a colleague to submit their manuscript for a preliminary review, just as they may for their final manuscript review. Students who wish to have a colleague pick up an edited preliminary format review must sign a FERPA form (available on the Thesis Office website). Off-campus students who wish to have an in-person preliminary format review may arrange with a Thesis Office representative to have a Skype or phone-in appointment.

Will students who have had a preliminary formatting review be prioritized by the Thesis Office when they turn in their manuscript for the final manuscript review?

Manuscript review submission to the Thesis Office will continue to operate in a first-come, first-serve basis. This will be reflected in the Thesis Tracking Tool, available for students and administrators on the Graduate School website.

Students who fail to have a preliminary formatting review and who have no major formatting issues will continue to graduate in the semester they submit. A student who has not had a preliminary formatting review and has major formatting errors that bar them from publication (as explained in the Thesis Office Handbook) may have their manuscripts be given a low priority for follow-up or have their manuscripts rejected for graduation that semester.

Whom can I contact if I have further questions?

Questions can be directed to the Thesis Office general email address,

The following process is recommended to help students prepare for graduation:

During the semester before your graduation date, students should check their Electronic Graduate Record File in CIS.

If students have questions or issues surrounding graduation, they should make an appointment with the department’s Graduate Academic Advisor. It is important that you communicate with the Academic Advisor about your intended graduation date and progress.

In order to graduate, students must meet all of the University of Utah requirements as well as the department requirements for graduation.

Information on graduation deadlines and how to apply for graduation may be found at Apply for Graduate Degree in the Registrar Student Handbook.

Students may also find information on the Commencement and Convocation ceremonies.

Your safety is our top priority. In an emergency, dial 911 or seek a nearby emergency phone (throughout campus). Report any crimes or suspicious people to 801-585-COPS; this number will get you to a dispatch officer at University Safety.

Campus Security provides courtesy escorts to or from areas on campus, available 24/7/365.
To request a courtesy escort, on main campus contact 801-585-2677; for University Hospital, 801-581-2294.

The University of Utah seeks to provide a safe and healthy experience for students, employees, and others who make use of campus facilities. In support of this goal, the University has established confidential resources and support services  to assist students who may have been affected by harassment, abusive relationships, or sexual misconduct. A detailed listing of University Resources for campus safety can be found at Campus Safety.

Your well-being is key to your personal safety. If you are in crisis, call 801-587-3000; help is close.

The university has additional excellent resources to promote emotional and physical wellness, including the Counseling Center (https://counselingcenter.utah.edu), the Wellness Center (https://wellness.utah.edu), and the Women’s Resource Center (https://womenscenter.utah.edu). Counselors and advocates in these centers can help guide you to other resources to address a range of issues, including substance abuse and addiction.  See the section on Student Resources for additional wellness and support resources.