The Materials Science and Engineering Program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org
The mission of the Materials Science and Engineering program at the University of Utah is to create an inclusive environment through teaching, research, and service that (i) allows training of materials science and engineering undergraduate and graduate students with the broad technical knowledge, critical thinking abilities, communication skills, social consciousness, and integrity necessary to become outstanding engineers and scientists in industry and academia, (ii) facilitates generation of new knowledge, and (iii) provides supporting service through consulting or other avenues to industry, government and the general public. The department strives to produce graduates with the necessary breadth of technical skills in separation and materials processing, synthesis, characterization, product development, research and development, and manufacturing, that will make them strong competitors in the job market created by the materials, manufacturing, and consumer product industries. The program offers exceptional opportunities for students to undertake research in a wide range of fields at a level that extends the frontiers of knowledge.
Program Educational Objectives
For the B.S. degree in Materials Science and Engineering, the Program Educational Objectives are:
- Graduates will succeed in materials science and engineering and related professions.
- Graduates will be successful in graduate programs in materials science and engineering or related fields.
- Graduates will be capable of advancing in their chosen careers and stay up-to-date on technological developments.
- Graduates will be capable of engaging in research and development and advanced study in Materials Science and Engineering and related fields.
- Graduates will be aware of global issues and educated to make ethical and informed decisions.
The following student outcomes of the curriculum are assessed in order to meet Materials Science and Engineering B.S. Degree Program Educational Objectives
1. An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
2. An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
3. An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
4. An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental and societal contexts.
5. An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
6. A ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
7. An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
8. An ability to understand structure, properties, processing, and performance relationships.